Contract Land Staff (CLS) values and understands the need for training, and has formalized many professional training sessions and developed curriculums, along with a variety of Right of Way business related modules for many companies including our own. Leading these endeavors is the CLS Professional Development Institute (PDI) whose mission is to provide the best in Right of Way training for the Public and Private Sector of Right of Way – Pipeline, Electric, Utility, Transportation, Renewables, Water, Chemical, etc.
The truth is that no one learns about Right of Way in college. Much, if not all Right of Way experience is learned on the job. So how do you ensure that you have Right of Way professionals working for you? You start by calling CLS.
CLS’s Project Right of Way Training programs are taught by many of the company’s Project Officers, Directors and Managers either in-house at CLS, or on-site at project or client offices. In July, 2012 we began offering a Right of Way Certificate program in collaboration with the University of Houston-Downtown / College of Business. Each of our instructors is a Subject Matter Expert (SME) in their own right with many years of real Right of Way experience, and well-honed Right of Way skills. Starting at the top, Brent Leftwich, CEO and President is a Certified Instructor for the International Right of Way Association’s (IRWA) Right of Way Agent Development Program #215. While Dr. Mazie Leftwich, Senior Vice President,and The Officer in Charge of the CLS Professional Development Institute, is one of the IRWA’s most popular Certified Instructors, specializing in negotiation and relationship skills with landowners, conflict management and cultural sensitivity. She teaches a number of the IRWA 200 level courses as well as the CLS developed ’Good Faith Negotiations and Landowner Relationships’ based on the INGAA Foundation’s 8 Commitments to Landowners. Then we have the Project and Operations Sr. Vice Presidents John Nicholson, Kerry Malone and Julie Rasmussen who have trained, taught, mentored and overseen the training on Projects for 45, 35, and 25 years respectively. Plus the highly experienced Project Directors, Project Managers and other specialist available to train agents 'on the ground' and as needed through the life of their Projects. An extensive list of our PDI Instructors along with their bios can be found in the Instructors tab.
The CLS Professional Development Institute provides business and professional development training such as:
- Time Management and Setting Priorities in Right of Way
- Stress Management in the Right of Way Industry
- Software training on Microsoft Office Products for Right of Way
- Manager and Supervisory Skills for Right of Way Projects
- Preventing Harassment in the Right of Way Workplace / Projects
- Preventing Harassment in the Right of Way Workplace / Managers
- ROW and the Energy Industry: The Facts, The Challenges, The Needs
- Steps and Stages of Right of Way Projects
- Electric Projects: Transmission & Distribution
- Pipeline Projects: Oil and Gas Products
- Shale Projects: Gold Rush Fever in Right of Way Today
- A Career in Right of Way
- Good Faith Negotiations & Landowner Relationships
- Title - Part I: Understanding Ownership, Research Process and Assembling Title Files
- Title - Part II: Legal Descriptions, Plotting Field Notes, Due Diligence
- Documents-Documents-Documents: The Variety and Necessity in Right of Way
- Technology Solutions: Data Management, GIS and the Cloud
- Body Language Secrets for Right of Way Professionals
- Right of Way Attitude Adjustment 101
Click here for information on the UHD/ College of Business ROW Certificate Program.
Classes can be conducted at CLS corporate offices in Sugar Land, Texas, on-site at project or client offices throughout the U.S., IRWA Region and Chapter meetings, International Conferences, or at other locations as requested.